Thursday 11 April 2002

Women’s hair

Much of my reading these days is about the Yoshiwara, the Edo period pleasure quarter that lasted from the early 1600s to shortly after the Meiji Restoration in 1868. In that period, Japanese women’s hairstyles denoted their social class: the tsubushi-shimada-mage was worn by geisha, the shima-momo-ware by unmarried girls, and the maru-mage style by married women. During the Edo period, when women married, they dyed their teeth black and, when they had baby, shaved their eyebrows (just as the female nobility did in the time of Murasaki Shikibu and Sei Shonagon).

My search for illustrations of each of these styles was unsuccessful. Then I remembered a book I bought a long time ago — What’s What: A Visual Glossary of the Physical World. I thought it might have illustrations of traditional Japanese hairstyles but it turned out to be a Diderot-style visual encyclopedia, designed to introduce to Japanese readers the English terms for a vast range of objects in the world circa 1985. Still, it does contain this remarkable illustration of a composite hairstyle (though I knew most of the terms, the “flip” came as a surprise):

Illustration of various women's hairstyles applied to a single head of hair

Comments

I've heard the "kiss curl" referred to as the "spit curl".

Posted by Burningbird on 12 April 2002 (Comment Permalink)

please someone help me quick im trying to possibly find a website or a book that can show me how to make a shimada chignon with my hair
please help me quick

Posted by shari on 25 October 2002 (Comment Permalink)

hi, for shari, go to google, then put in : Japanese+hairstyles. then the first one is i think all about this laddy. Go to that site, and go down alittle bit it gives insturcturions on that sort of a hair style

Posted by lauren on 21 January 2003 (Comment Permalink)

The kiss curl is real cute.

Posted by Malachia on 29 January 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Hope someone can help me. I am looking for a books that show the traditional japanese hairstyle, and the story and the daily life ritual related in doing it.
Please help me. Thankyou

Rita

Posted by rita on 25 March 2003 (Comment Permalink)

I need some kool japanese hair style how to's or illustrations...please help!!!

Posted by Shayla or Buni on 9 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Hi! im wearing a traditional chinese dress for my prom, but i dont know how to have my hair to match the style of my dress! if anyone can help please e-mail me!!!!!

Posted by hayley on 20 May 2003 (Comment Permalink)

I have a plane to cut my long hair please.. help me to find website for japanese hairstyle so i can see what style is match for me =>

Posted by nita on 26 May 2003 (Comment Permalink)