Friday 23 August 2002

A cat’s tale

In response to repeated demands for photographs of my new cat, here she is:

Cat tail and Ethernet cable

I didn’t give her a name until a couple of days after she arrived and, unfortunately, the name I chose hasn’t really stuck. It’s a Japanese name that begins with an “R” and I realize now that only Japanese speakers will pronounce it correctly. More seriously, a Japanese friend pointed out to me tonight that the name I chose is associated with a tall, elegant, somewhat aloof style of Japanese beauty, whereas this little cat is short, somewhat tubby, and endearingly friendly. My friend thinks I should call her Hanako or Momoko (flower child and peach/pink child, respectively). I’m not so sure. She’s a gray and white cat. I did manage to take a nice photo of her, but I’ll hold off posting it until she has the right name.

Comments

Now that is funny.

She sounds like a little love. What's Japanese for little love?

Posted by Burningbird on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)

I wonder, what is the minimum amount of cat that can appear in a picture and still be cute?

Posted by Anita Rowland on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)

A cast-off claw. Definitely un-cute. That's my guess.

Posted by Dorothea Salo on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Better add an "n" to spinning no telling what a missing "n" might lead too.

Posted by Norm Jenson on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)

I'm influenced by the pic here of course... but somehow...

"Cable"

That has a nice ring to it somehow.

Posted by Karl on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Gee, Bb. You might be onto something. It's Aiko.

Norm, I have to confess that you lost me on the missing "n" in spinning angle.

Posted by Jonathon Delacour on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)

``"Cable." Reminds me of when George Costanza told Susan that if they had a child he wanted to call it "Seven." I think I prefer Aiko.''

Or "Five".. Cat, Cat-5 cable -- or has everyone else already made that connection?

Posted by Matt Snodderly on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Aiko. Now _that's_ a good name. Short and sweet and even us non-Japanese people should be able to pronounce it.

Now, can we see the rest of Aiko's body?

Posted by Burningbird on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)

thanks JD
L x

Posted by linda on 23 August 2002 (Comment Permalink)