Sunday 01 September 2002

A Bottlematique?

From Nantucket, AKMA advises me that his Aunt “has a dishwashing device, evidently designed specifically for bottles, that might make a helpful adjunct to the Dishmatique.”

Naturally I’m anxious for details. A photograph, particularly, if AKMA can turn his attention from “looking for a cafe with an open wireless access point” to picking up his digital camera and taking a snap of the bottlewashing implement. You did take your digicam to Nantucket, AKMA, didn’t you?

The abundance of dishwashing devices around the world has suggested a business opportunity. (The US, not surprisingly, seems to have the greatest variety but on my next trip to Japan I’ll spend some time investigating Japanese dishwashing technology. A quick trip to Tokyu Hands in Shibuya should turn up some gems.) I’m thinking about putting together custom dishwashing kits and selling them on the Web. So that someone who (for example) is a home brew enthusiast with lots of cast iron cookware and an aversion to Teflon surfaces could order a bundle consisting of a standard Dishmatique, a Li’l Scrubber, and the bottlewasher favored by AKMA’s Aunt.

Update. Mark Pilgrim returned from his trip to Cupertino to discover that his beloved fianceé had bought and installed a sponge organizer in their sink:

Upon wondering aloud—in a roundabout sort of way—whether this was an example of suburban consumerism run amok, I was informed in no uncertain terms that sponge organizers are specially designed to allow sponges to dry more quickly, and are therefore good for the sponges’ health.

Mark doesn’t make it clear whether said sponges are used for actual dishwashing or merely for wiping down the sink and benches. If even one of the sponges is regularly employed in washing dishes, then I’ll have to add sponge organizers to my online catalog.

(One of the advantages of the Dishmatique is that if you store it on end, the detergent drains to the bottom of the handle and the sponge/scourer head is exposed to a constant flow of air.)

Comments

Jonathon, you're beginning to worry me.

Posted by Burningbird on 2 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Was that a sexist comment Shelley?

(Euan runs for cover at this point.....)

Posted by Euan on 2 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

It is true, Euan, that dishwashing has in the past been associated with the female gender. However, after careful reading of several weblog postings by my honored and distinguished colleages such as Professor Delacour and AKMA, I've come to realize that dishwashing truly is a cross-gender occupation. Nay, these gentlemen's pure and unadulterated delight in this occupation leads me to believe that there are few things they would prefer to do more than dishwashing.

I have of course, communicated this information to AKMA's spouse (something which seemed to please her enormously).

Nay, my worry wasn't based in issues of gender, but with Jonathon's growing obsession with dishwashing tools. First was the Dishmatique, next the Li'l Scrubber, and now it's sponge organizers and the possibility of starting a business.

Worrisome. If this continues, we, his friends may have to consider intervening. Taking drastic action such as hiding his Dishmatique and giving him a broom instead, that sort of thing.

There are floor mops now that one can attach the dishwashing fluid container to and place a disposable cloth at the bottom. Squirt the liquid and mop, mop, mop. Rather sexy technology to my way of thinking. Perhaps we can lure Jonathon away from the Dishmatique with one of these. Hmmm.

Posted by Burningbird on 2 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

"One of the advantages of the Dishmatique is..."

Scratch that. One of the many marvelous advantages of the Dishmatique is...

It's great name!

All the hail the great and wonderous aid to homemaking, Dishmatique!

Posted by Jeff Cheney on 2 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Bb, I wonder if AKMA's, and Jeff's, and my fascination with dishwashing _tools_ is a "guy thing." Whereas women would be inclined to grab the nearest/cheapest/cleanest dishwashing implement, knuckle down, and wash the dishes, men like to spend a lot of time evaluating and discussing the most appropriate tool for any given dishwashing task. (I trust no-one will construe that generalization as s*x**t.)

As a consequence, my delight in dishwashing springs mainly from being able to use a variety of tools. I doubt I'd be interested at all if I had to use a single dishwashing implement -- in fact, I'd probably buy a dishwasher.

Interestingly, my mother recently bought a new dishwasher and offered to buy me one as a gift. I refused -- telling her that I didn't really want to clutter my life with more appliances. The real reason was, of course, that it's more fun to do it by hand.

As for my online business, I'm convinced that this could be the best way to achieve the commercial success that is the dream of many bloggers.

Posted by Jonathon Delacour on 2 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Um. My husband uses a dishcloth. He was mildly weirded out when I got him a couple of nylon scrubby pads. If I got him a Dishmatique he'd freak. I'm not kidding.

And he won't touch the dishwasher, not even after Thanksgiving when I've completely wrecked the kitchen and used nearly every cooking dish and utensil we own.

Go figure.

Posted by Dorothea Salo on 3 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

I think the dishmatique product line is a very good idea. There should be: body-matique with a loofah and sponge head; a face-matique to gently exfoliate; tooth-matique; nail-matique; carwash-matique; windowclean-matique; paintbrush-matique.

With regard to men choosing the best tool for the job. May I say that there is the reason that women probably get lots more done than men, because we just knuckle down and do it!! Is that s*x*st?

I love the idea of the sponge organiser and desparate to have one.

Two helpful hints for dishwasher users. 1. put all sponges (including the dishmatique sponge heads) in the dishwasher (top shelf) to freshen them all. 2. The dishmatique is handy to scrap plates etc. prior to placing in the dishwasher. (I hate cleaning the filter in the dishwashing machine)

Posted by Pussy Delacour on 6 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)