Tuesday 03 September 2002

Reimi says: “Thank you, Mark!”

Reimi, my new catIn honor of Reimi, my new cat, Mark Pilgrim started a weblog category for cat pictures.

When I just told Reimi, she said that she was honored to be the foundation cat in Mark’s cat pictures category, then asked if there was any kind of prize involving food. I said, not as far as I know, but gave her a handful of Whiskas Cravers Chicken Delights (The crunchy soft centered snack).

Comments

Well, the way you send Tim-Tams hither and yon, Jonathon, I should think Mark could come across with a cat toy or something.

So how about it, Mark -- where's the goods?

Posted by Dorothea Salo on 3 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

I have an old laser pointer you can have. They make excellent cat toys.

Posted by Mark Pilgrim on 4 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Oooo... laser pointer...

I tell you what, Jonathon, that picture of Reimi-chan looks like something that belongs with a newspaper byline. So do we get "Reimi's Corner" or something as a complement to Mark's new category?

Posted by Dorothea Salo on 4 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Laser pointer! Is that like a high tech version of scrunched up plastic supermarket bag tied on the end of a piece of string? I'm sure she'd love it. I'm sure I'd love it.

"Reimi's Corner"
Hmm, what did you have in mind, Dorothea? Reimi's comments and opinions on life in the Delacour household? I'm not sure how she expresses herself in English -- since all our communication is done in Japanese.

Posted by Jonathon Delacour on 4 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

But Reimi wouldn't think in letters, she would think in pictures. Reimi's Corner could be her pictorial view of life -- a completely non-text based weblog.

From her viewpoint.

I like.

BTW, Zoe has a spare feather on a stick if Reimi would like one -- they're her favorite toy. She drags them upstairs at night, meowing around the mouthful of feature the entire way. And then drags them downstairs again in the morning.

Posted by Burningbird on 4 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Interesting hypothesis, Bb. What makes you think that Reimi thinks in pictures? She miaows (in Japanese) constantly. Is she using "words" to describe the pictures she sees?

She does, however, very much like the idea of having her own weblog. Would this be a blogging first? Should I make her an author of my blog? Or set up a separate blog for her in MT? What should the URL be? reimi.delacour.net? Or should I register a domain for her?

Posted by Jonathon Delacour on 4 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Nah, not first Jonathon -- Will Leshner had one for his cat. However, his was in English with lots of rowrs and meows.

I'd save yourself a few dollars and just create the reimi.delacouor.net weblog. Or, if you haven't moved yet, you could register this as a domain and create this on your new host.

Posted by Burningbird on 4 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

I have it on very good authority that Reimi has quite a few ideas regarding the "cat toy".

When Reimi disappeared for a few hours on Tuesday, she was seen in Woollahra. She had swung by the Jersey Road Vet to collect her two cousins who were boarding for the day and the three girls were seen enjoying some retail therapy. Reimi, Jazz and Bliss had no trouble in communicating - their gold Amex credit card spoke volumes.

As an ardent ailurophile, I agree with BB - I believe that cats communicate by sending their mental pictures to us, but because we mere humans aren't clever enough to sense this communication they have to also miaow.

Posted by Pussy Delacour on 4 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

As for the thinking in pictures, I'm basing this on our own cognitive processes. As we mature we 'speak' to ourselves, but our memory is heavily associated with images. Before we begin to have a complex vocabulary, we "think" to ourselves in pictures.

I don't have a specific reference so you must take what I'm saying on either faith or salt, but I believe that animals "think" to themselves in pictures rather than think a process through using whatever verbalizations and language associated with the animal.

In fact, memory studies have shown that if we utilize both of our hemispheres within our cognitive processes, we enhance both our learning as well as our memorization capability.

Sorry -- long winded version of, because I believe that animals think in 'images'.

Posted by Burningbird on 5 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

PS. Before posting my previous message I was asleep. However my cat Bliss has a very effective way of communicating. She has worked out that when my eyelids are open I'm awake. If I'm asleep and she is hungry then she just licks my eyelids open. Hence at midnight I'm opening a can of tuna and prawn banquent for her, which she inherited from Pudding, but courtesy of Reimi who is allergic to fish. So Bliss says thank you Pudding and Reimi.

Posted by Pussy Delacour on 5 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

So Reimi went out on the town with her cousins and maxed out the Amex gold card eh?

Pussy, I think yours and my comments just prove the hypothesis that cats think in pictures. Bliss experienced hunger and thought to herself, "I'm hungry and I want my human to feed me." However, in her mind this thought took pictorial form. she pictured you feeding her and since, feeding is associated with you having your eyes open, she communicated the necessary action you needed to take to feed her, which was to open your eyes. That is one smart kitty.

Perhaps Bliss can teach her cousin Reimi this very effective method so that she can practice this technique rather than having to resort to meowing, or waiting patiently until Jonathon was ready to act. I'm sure he'd be very grateful for the help.

Posted by Burningbird on 5 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

My dog had her own web site, back in 1995 when that sort of thing seemed original. She had her own email address, too. Hey, I have my own domain now; she could have her own email address again! adagio@diveintomark.org. Or her very own weblog. "Dive Into Adagio"? The mind boggles.

I'm serious about that laser pointer. Point it at the floor and watch the cat go nuts. It's the only way my cat actually plays with me. Give me a mailing address, it's all yours.

Posted by Mark Pilgrim on 5 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Further to "cats thinking in pictures" - which I firmly believe.

I am pondering over the reason for the followng:
Bliss goes to her food when I whistle the theme song from "Bewitched"; and she goes to her litter box when I whistle the theme song from "I dream of Jeanie".

If the fairy godmother offered me three wishes, one of the wishes would be the gift of knowing what animals are thinking/feeling.

Posted by Pussy on 6 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Jonathon, Jonathon, Jonathon!

I'm sure Reimi is very pleased with the training program she's implemented, you sound like your coming on just fine.

Posted by fiona on 6 September 2002 (Comment Permalink)