Sunday 08 December 2002

Sixteen years a priest

On December 6, AKMA celebrated 16 years of being a priest.

Jeneane Sessum wrote:

I know a caring person, a good dad, and an empathetic and passionate human being when I read one. AKMA is all of those.

Burningbird wrote:

No, I just don’t see the priest. I see the man who has made choices in his past that have carved out the person we know today. If his actions are the actions of a Man of God, then I would say that AKMA has really been a Man of God since the day he was born.

As I thought about the wording of my own congratulatory post, I couldn’t help feeling it strange that two of our smartest bloggers had missed AKMA’s essence: the one characteristic that demonstrates his humility and lack of pretension, while defining the Blogarian chaplain as unique amongst clergymen:

AKMA is the priest who washes dishes.

Comments

[hits self in head]

Darn! I knew I forgot something! But you know, we women don't think about dishwashing and house work and that sort of thing.

Now, if you want to talk Tim Tams...

Posted by Burningbird on 8 December 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Before the Last Supper Christ washed his disciples' feet using a basin of water and wiping them "with the towel wherewith he was girded". The image is associated with humility and service, and if you know AKMA or his writing at all, it certainly fits.

Posted by Stan on 8 December 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Stan, please don't misunderstand the comic tone of my post -- I've had personal experience of AKMA's warmth, generosity, and kindness.

Posted by Jonathon Delacour on 8 December 2002 (Comment Permalink)

Oh, I'm sure you have Jonathon, as have many other bloggers. We are so fortunate to have AKMA in the community. When I saw your post it made me think of AKMA with a kitchen towel and then immediately I made the connection with the famous painting of Jesus washing the disciples feet.

Posted by Stan on 9 December 2002 (Comment Permalink)