Wednesday 23 April 2003

Keep the Bird Burning

Burningbird’s en route from San Francisco with a car full of possessions, completing Stage 1 of what she calls her Moving Adventure. I woke up yesterday morning thinking that I’d write her an email saying simply: “You are greatly missed.” Only to find that she’d posted from SF while I was asleep.

Thanks for all the kind comments in the last post, and the offers of hosting help. They are appreciated. Chris/Stavros from EmptyBottle has found a new weblog home so he won’t be going dark at the end of the month. As for me, I might see if a friend’s offer of a host is still open. Bandwidth’s still an issue, though and it’s running late to make a change. Knock on wood.

I replied in her comments:

It’s time for someone to step up to the plate and organize a “Keep the Bird Burning” fund and it looks like that someone is me.

I’ve emailed Euan Semple to ask him about the dynamics of setting up a PayPal account (Euan organized the Mark Woods computer fund) and, as soon as I have it figured out, I’ll post an entry on my weblog.

Broke, tip-jar’d out, or cheap… it doesn’t really matter. I hate the thought of losing Shelley’s unique, powerful, generous presence and I trust that enough people agree with me to ensure that the flame is not extinguished but rather will continue to burn even more brightly than before.

To that end, I’ve set up a PayPal donation account called Keep the Bird Burning and I’m now officially soliciting donations. Clicking on the button below will take you to a PayPal Payment Details page displaying the details of the donation you are (hopefully) about to make. If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can quickly and easily set one up.

The donations will go to my PayPal account and I’ll progressively transfer the money to Shelley’s account. (Do I need to reassure anyone that this post has no fictional elements?)

As far as the target amount is concerned, I don’t have a clear sense of what a reasonable goal should be. The last twelve months have been tough for Shelley so I’d like to collect enough cash to secure her plenty of space on a reliable server with gobs of bandwidth for at least a year, preferably two.

Obviously I’d be grateful if you’d publicize the Keep the Bird Burning campaign on your own weblogs. If you’d like to add the donation button to your own site, you can either copy the code from my source or email me (jonathon[don’t forget the at symbol]delacour.net) and I’ll send it to you.

I’m well aware that we all have limited financial resources. I guess all I can say is that I’m hoping as many of us as possible will be able to give something back to Shelley, who has given so much of herself, in her passion, her commitment, and—most of all—her wonderful writing.

UPDATE: The campaign has now concluded. We raised just over $800 in 72 hours, thanks to the generosity of everyone who supported the project with cash or by publicizing it on their blogs or both.

Comments

Done :-)

Posted by The Dynamic Driveler on 23 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Done too. I think it's vital we Keep the Bird Burning, purely because Shelley is one of only two people to blogroll my own ramblings.

Er, do I need to point out the use of irony lest anyone think I'm writing the literal truth?

Posted by Andrew on 23 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Sorry, THREE people have blogrolled me. This makes it slightly less critical to keep Shelley burning, but still obviously Very Important,

Posted by Andrew on 23 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Will do and great idea.

Posted by Karl on 23 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Done! Thanks for making today's random act of kindness so easy!

Posted by Lisa on 24 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Hey. Don't forget her photos, you obsessive wordsmith, you. :)

Posted by Dorothea Salo on 24 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Done and done, and thanks for the opportunity. (My Paypal account uses my real name, which begins with Stephen; I "trust" you not to put the rest of it out in public, you "ironic" "fictioneer," you!)

Posted by language hat on 24 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

a good thing.

Posted by gary turner on 24 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Well, I would suggest you read the failed campaign for Dell'Essum project at gonzoengaged last week
It was fun and we raised money for Jeneane's used Dell. [http://allied.blogspot.com]

Posted by Marek J on 24 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Marek, I used your "failed campaign" as a model for my own -- here's hoping that I "fail" as successfully as you did. I know that Jeneane is delighted with her Dell.

Posted by Jonathon on 24 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Thanks for doing this, Jonathon.

Posted by Liz on 25 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

How about a cost-free campaign as well?

Keep the BUSH burning.

Nec tamen consumebatur.

A Bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush.

Posted by Bob on 25 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Glad to pitch in, Jonathon. Many thanks for setting it all up.

Posted by Tom Shugart on 25 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Why is Burningbird using an intermediary? Why doesn't she set up her own PayPal donation account?

Posted by fishrush on 26 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

A lethal combination of pride and despair, Fishrush.

Posted by Dorothea Salo on 26 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Bah!

Posted by cybrpunk on 26 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)

Wow. That worked fast.

Posted by meg on 26 April 2003 (Comment Permalink)