Wednesday 14 May 2003

Remembering Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn handbag in store window

Comments

Now, did you construct that image, Jonathon, or find it? Eithre way, it’s lovely and elegant (as one would hope for a tribute to AH).

Posted by AKMA on 15 May 2003 (Comment Permalink)

How uncanny, how absolutely uncanny that you posted this today. Lately I've been dealing with issues, some of which have to do with appearance and self worth. Spent many an hour looking at my reflection in the water yesterday. And today you post a photo of woman who epitomizes the type of woman that so many men admire, and few women can possibly be.

I've always likeed and admired Audrey Hepburn, not just for her ephemeral beauty and classic elegance, as AKMA noted; and not just for her talent as an actor; but also because she was basically just a wonderful, caring, incredible person. An extraordinary person. One of a kind.

But there's a part of me that hates her, too. And I'm not sure if anyone but a woman would understand why. Sorry.

This _is_ an excellent photo.

Posted by Burningbird on 15 May 2003 (Comment Permalink)

I think I understand you Shelley, but I don't hate her. I'm not sure why. I adore her. Have every film. Books. General uncritical devotion.

I have a Swiss friend who, as a small child, was picked up and kissed by AH. I assume, from the amount he talks about it, that it was one of the seminal moments of his life.

I love the picture, but I think I could never have the bag, unless I wanted to go unnoticed. Who would look at the person carrying it with that picture on display?

Posted by qB on 15 May 2003 (Comment Permalink)

To be picked up --as a small child -- and kissed by Audrey Hepburn, how would that not have a profound impact on one's life? I'd love to know, qB, how your friend believes the experience affected him.

I understand your ambivalence, Bb. As you say in your post, "she was a unique and beautiful woman, as warm and generous and classy as she was elegant." In other words, close to perfect. I was happy to see you included "classy" as one of her qualities -- it's what I associate with a kind of inner strength, humility, and decency. I suspect, however, that AH represents just as an impossible ideal for men (in the sense of "how could a man feel worthy of her?").

AKMA, it's a found image -- the only construction occurred in the viewfinder. (Alas, my Photoshop skills don't comprise even a fraction of what would be required to "construct" a picture like that.)

Posted by Jonathon on 15 May 2003 (Comment Permalink)

I shall ask him and let you know. Of course I could give my interpretation based on what I have heard of his narration, but that wouldn't be the same at all.

Posted by qB on 16 May 2003 (Comment Permalink)

please tell me where to get this bag as a friend of mine is a huge fan and would love it as a pressie

Posted by louise on 19 May 2003 (Comment Permalink)

are there shoes to match? :) :) :)

I'm so in lust right about now....

Posted by juz on 5 June 2003 (Comment Permalink)